The Miami Dolphins made history in Week 1 of the 2023 NFL season by scoring 70 points and gaining 726 yards in a win over the Denver Broncos. This was the most points scored in franchise history, and the Dolphins became the first team in NFL history to gain over 700 yards in two consecutive games.
This historic performance is a testament to the coaching and leadership of Mike McDaniel, who is in his first season as the Dolphins’ head coach. McDaniel has created a culture of excellence and high expectations, and he has put together a coaching staff that is helping the players develop their skills and talents.
Sales leaders and sales coaches can learn a lot from the Miami Dolphins. By coaching and developing their salespeople like athletes, sales teams can achieve their goals and succeed.
Sales Leadership and the Miami Dolphins
Mike McDaniel has created a culture of excellence and high expectations for the Miami Dolphins. He has also put together a coaching staff that helps the players develop their skills and talents.
Sales leaders can learn from McDaniel’s example by creating a culture of excellence and high expectations within their own sales teams. They should also invest in coaching and development to help their salespeople reach their full potential.
Sales Coaching and the Miami Dolphins
The Miami Dolphins’ coaching staff is doing a great job of developing the team’s young players. Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is a prime example. He is in his third season and is showing signs of significant improvement. Therefore, the coaching staff is also helping running backs Raheem Mostert and De’Von Achane develop into a dynamic duo.
Sales coaches can learn from the Dolphins’ coaching staff by focusing on developing their salespeople’s skills and talents. So, they should also provide regular feedback and coaching to help their salespeople improve their performance.
Sales Teamwork and the Miami Dolphins
The Miami Dolphins’ offense and defense worked together as a cohesive unit in the win over the Denver Broncos. The offense scored 70 points, the most in franchise history, and the defense held the Broncos to 31 points.
Sales teams can learn from the Dolphins’ example by working together as a team. Salespeople should support each other and share leads and best practices. Also, they should also celebrate each other’s successes.
How to Coach Salespeople Like Athletes
Here are some tips on how to coach salespeople like athletes:
- Create a culture of excellence and high expectations. Let your salespeople know that you believe in them and that you expect them to succeed.
- Invest in coaching and development. Provide your salespeople with the training and support they need to reach their full potential.
- Focus on developing individual skills and talents. Every salesperson is different, so it’s important to tailor your coaching to their individual needs.
- Provide regular feedback and coaching. Help your salespeople identify their strengths and weaknesses, and then develop a plan to improve.
- Celebrate successes. When your salespeople achieve their goals, be sure to celebrate their success. This will help them stay motivated and focused.
By coaching and developing their salespeople like athletes, sales leaders can achieve their goals and succeed. By creating a culture of excellence, investing in coaching and development, and working together as a team, sales teams can overcome any challenge and achieve their full potential.
Here are some additional thoughts on how to coach salespeople like athletes:
- Create a game plan. Just like an athlete needs a game plan for a game, salespeople need a game plan for their sales calls and sales process. Sales coaches can help their salespeople develop a game plan that is tailored to their specific needs and goals.
- Practice regularly. Just like athletes need to practice regularly, salespeople need to practice their sales skills regularly. Sales coaches can help their salespeople practice by role-playing sales calls and providing feedback on their performance.
- Set realistic goals. Just like athletes need to set realistic goals for themselves, salespeople need to set realistic goals for their sales. Also, sales coaches can help their salespeople set realistic goals that are challenging but achievable.
- Track progress. Just like athletes need to track their progress, salespeople need to track their progress. Sales coaches can help their salespeople track their progress by providing them with sales dashboards and reports.
- Provide motivation. Just like athletes need motivation, salespeople need motivation. Sales coaches can motivate their salespeople by providing them with positive reinforcement and by celebrating their successes.
By following these tips, sales leaders and sales coaches can help their salespeople achieve their full potential and succeed like athletes.
Source: Louis-Jacques, Marcel. Dolphins make history with 70 points and 726 yards; Bills on deck. | ESPN, 24 Sept. 2023
Ready to take your sales coaching to the next level?
Follow the winning strategies of the Miami Dolphins and see how athletic coaching methods can transform your sales team. Discover more tips and techniques on our website, FPG’s Sales and Management Training. Elevate your team’s performance today!
Need More Sales? We Can Help You Hire, Train, And Lead Your Salespeople!
Stop feeling the frustration or even disappointment of having to lower your sales forecast or your prices, and instead, start taking the market share that you deserve. Unleash your sales performance with our lead generation, sales recruiting, training, and fractional sales leadership for Homebuilding, B2B, and B2C salespeople and sales leadership. Book a Meeting today!